PDA

View Full Version : What single in the UK and OZ and France and Germany was first released on CD?

Pepp
18-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Merci :)

manky33
18-12-2011, 03:36 PM
UK Got to be certain
OZ Especially for you
France I should be so lucky
Germany Got to be certain

Pepp
19-12-2011, 02:31 AM
^ I'm confused?! On cd?? Surely not? I thought the first in the uk was something like Word is out?
Do you mean singles like Better the devil you know exist on cd (I don't mean the later printed versions)?

Aphrodite Lover
19-12-2011, 03:37 AM
^ I'm confused?! On cd?? Surely not? I thought the first in the uk was something like Word is out?
Do you mean singles like Better the devil you know exist on cd (I don't mean the later printed versions)?

Yes, they were originally released on CD. Look it up on MixKylie.Co.Uk

shocked
19-12-2011, 09:34 AM
The first UK cd singles were.

1.Got To Be Certain.
2.Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi.
3.Especially For You.
4.Hand On Your Heart.
5.Wouldn't Change A Thing.
6.Never Too Late.

Bendix
20-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Yes, he is correct.

Got to Be Certain was indeed the first Kylie cd single in the UK. PWCD12 is the catalogue number.

anthonygrice
22-12-2011, 04:33 PM

why is it so surprising? CD's were firmly established by 1987/8.

Damoinnit!
22-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, they were originally released on CD. Look it up on MixKylie.Co.Uk Indeed!

heartmightmelt
24-12-2011, 12:39 AM
why is it so surprising? CD's were firmly established by 1987/8.

CD albums were, CD singles not so much. It took a few more years for the CD single to beat out vinyl singles and cassettes for singles chart dominance. One would suspect at that time that CD singles were mostly bought by older-males with money to burn on new tech, and the absence of a ISBSL CD single probably is explained by PWL's assumption that she wouldn't appeal to that market (apart from The GayzTM). Demographic sales after the fact may have shown they were wrong, which could explain why GTBC was then issued on CD.

I'd imagine, similar to other artists single strategies of the late 80s, that 7" vinyl and cassette formats came out the week of release, with a CD following a week later once Kylie had been broadcast on Top of the Pops. If I remember correctly, Never Too Late was hampered by the 12" not being on-sale with the other formats. By the early 90s, record companies had abandoned staggered format releases in favour of two part CD singles and cassettes as the dominant single formats.

(One of the bands I collect even had a single that was released on SEVEN formats spread over four weeks, first a 7" and 12", then CD single and a 7" with a gatefold design, and then another 7" with a poster and then finally a further two 12"s - one gatefold, and one with a free poster. The chart compilers put a stop to that kind of over-kill formatting in the 90s though)

BoomboxAJ
17-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Was The kylie Collection ever released on cd back in 1988. I seem to recall it was ?

shocked
17-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Was The kylie Collection ever released on cd back in 1988. I seem to recall it was ?

No it wasn't.There were plans to release and mock sleeves were made.Elle posted them.Only cassette and LP were released.