PDA

View Full Version : No love for "Word is Out"

Hello Mr. Radio
15-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Why wasn't this song included in "Ultimate Kylie"? This is one of my favorite singles, and I thought it was important in her history!

thedelinquent
15-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Kylie said something about only wanting top ten singles, exception of 'Celebration' for obvious reasons!

novaARQ
16-07-2010, 06:10 AM
^ That's fair enough. Love this song though.

discoboy
16-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Why wasn't this song included in "Ultimate Kylie"? This is one of my favorite singles, and I thought it was important in her history!

In the UK it's important in her history for breaking her run of 13 consecutive runs ;)! Whilst I don't dislike the song, I have always personally thought it was a bad choice of single!

thedelinquent
16-07-2010, 07:30 AM
yeh i quite like it...i like her vocals on it. I don't think its her strongest lead single tho and Kylie and S/A/W weren't really flavour of the year at that time so ppl were getting a bit fed up of 'em.

Some people had said she hardly did any promo for this, but I have her performing this quite a lot, so it was a bit overkill.

SKOB
17-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Kylie said something about only wanting top ten singles, exception of 'Celebration' for obvious reasons!

Pity it wasn't region specific. Word is Out was Top 10 in Oz, but yet we got lumped with the bombs of If You Were with Me Now and Give Me Just a Little More time. bla!!!!!!

thedelinquent
17-07-2010, 08:20 AM
but yet we got lumped with the bombs of If You Were with Me Now

:confused: on Ultimate Kylie???

WayneSF
17-07-2010, 08:35 AM
I remember playing this when it came out and someone was like: Is that Vanessa Williams?

Stuwr34
17-07-2010, 09:20 AM
The video was just awful!!! The saving grace for this single was 'Say The Word - I'll Be There' as it's b-side

craig68
18-07-2010, 04:51 PM
It's better than some of her hits on the 2nd album.

In 1991, Kylie had released 4 similar albums in 4 years, people were getting tired of the SAW sound, and musical fashions were changing.

ingvar
18-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I love the Summer Breeze Mix! ;) not the most loved song from our girl, but I really like it ;)

bobwise
18-07-2010, 07:29 PM
i like it too...should have done better than it did :)

Le Petit Prince
19-07-2010, 04:50 AM
i love this songĦĦĦ :throb: the video is so funny ;)

PossiblePrince
19-07-2010, 08:54 PM
The first time I ever saw Kylie in person was when she performed this song and Shocked at the Plymouth Roadshow in August 1991. It was the most amazing experience being practically front row seeing her in person with the style I loved most. I loved this song back then and loved the choreography too. I quite liked the hooker look in the video. At the end of the day good or bad, Kylie chose to do that and I for one am glad she did.

tsesme
20-07-2010, 08:19 AM
One of her best songs ever!!!!!! I just love the "Summer Breeze Mix". Let's hope that she will include it in the tour next year

matthew_hotpants
20-07-2010, 11:42 AM
The first time I ever saw Kylie in person was when she performed this song and Shocked at the Plymouth Roadshow in August 1991. It was the most amazing experience being practically front row seeing her in person with the style I loved most. I loved this song back then and loved the choreography too. I quite liked the hooker look in the video. At the end of the day good or bad, Kylie chose to do that and I for one am glad she did.

ah, i went to that one too, good times!! i love word is out and played it to death all that summer.

the cover art work is gorgeous as well and the b - side, as stuwr34 said. i used to have a nice poster of the picture on the back sleeve. how does she do that with her back?!

singingbathmatt
20-07-2010, 12:15 PM
and lets not forget UK television favourite Davina Mccall appears in the video :nonono:

Stuwr34
20-07-2010, 05:19 PM
and lets not forget UK television favourite Davina Mccall appears in the video :nonono:
Every time I see Davina on Big Brother I can't help but think of her very un-sexy dancing in the video for Word Is Out lol

Patri
20-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Because it was a total mistake and one of her worst lead single choices side by side with Some Kind Of Bliss, having Word Is Out after the musical masterpieces that were the singles from Rhythm Of Love, was painfully disappointing. And no matter how much of a good idea was to portray a prostitute on the video it was just a plain disaster and both single and video ended up killing the album.

thedelinquent
20-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I must have missed something as i never saw her as a hooker in this vid, its was Pete Waterman who said this, and never really saw it, she seemed to be more likely to be this in the vid for JNSPP hanging around that lampost!!!

Patri
20-07-2010, 09:01 PM
She is a prostitute in the video, hangin out with her prostitute friends and gamblers and pimps having some fun on the street.

NocturnalStranga
21-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I like Word Is Out! Fun track.. much better than GMJALMT and Celebration..

thedelinquent
21-07-2010, 08:02 AM
She is a prostitute in the video, hangin out with her prostitute friends and gamblers and pimps having some fun on the street.

:rolleyes:

cjfinley
21-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I must have missed something as i never saw her as a hooker in this vid, its was Pete Waterman who said this, and never really saw it, she seemed to be more likely to be this in the vid for JNSPP hanging around that lampost!!!
:D that's hilarious!

Bendix
21-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Certainly not her finest moment. I dont hate it, but I do remember getting the single, playing it for the first time and thinking 2What the F*** is THIS???"

Good cover art, great b-side, awful video.

x

ShutDownTurnAround
21-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I love the summer breeze version but was never found of the UK single mix.

I like the video though!

DefinitiveBeat
21-07-2010, 06:14 PM
"Word Is Out" has always been one of my favourite PWL songs and I still play it quite a lot. Sure, it wasn't a classic like the four "Rhythm of Love" singles, but I adore the "Let's Get to It" era.
My only bitch about "Ultimate Kylie" (other than it not being in release order) is the lack of singles from LGTI. "Finer Feelings" should have at least been on there. Even though it never made the top ten, it's still one of her finest down tempo moments. It's surprising that "If You Were With Me Now" never made it on there considering it hit #4 in the UK and was popular on the radio.

One of the reasons I love the Australian "Greatest Hits 87-99" so much is because it features all her PWL and Deconstruction singles. It's a great little collection.

thedelinquent
21-07-2010, 06:43 PM
:D that's hilarious!

:D

One of the reasons I love the Australian "Greatest Hits 87-99" so much is because it features all her PWL and Deconstruction singles. It's a great little collection.

yeh just wish they'd included the oz version of Locomotion on the dvd instead of the UK one which seemed out of place!

craig68
21-07-2010, 06:55 PM

I like the video. Kylie doesn't do anything risque or shocking, she's just a cute girl next door prostitute.
Only the fact that all the guys are dressed like pimps makes the hooker idea clear.

Dano
22-07-2010, 04:35 AM

:rolleyes:

What? Patri is right, she IS portraying a prostitute on the video, that is basically the synopsis of the piece, and actually i tought everyone knew it. A day time edit for the video was made and Pete Waterman went mental because he didn't want Kylie as a hooker, however by that time their relationship was on a very difficult stage and he had no control over her image. Prostitute Kylie and Word Is Out as lead single were a huge mistake as it totally damaged the album, that's why they spent the rest of the time going with safe single choices, to repair some of that damage.

thedelinquent
22-07-2010, 04:45 AM
What? Patri is right, she IS portraying a prostitute on the video, that is basically the synopsis of the piece, and actually i tought everyone knew it. A day time edit for the video was made and Pete Waterman went mental because he didn't want Kylie as a hooker, however by that time their relationship was on a very difficult stage and he had no control over her image. Prostitute Kylie and Word Is Out as lead single were a huge mistake as it totally damaged the album, that's why they spent the rest of the time going with safe single choices, to repair some of that damage.

:play_ball:

Chris_Sydney
22-07-2010, 10:53 AM
I still really like the song (and the 'Let's Get To It' album for that matter). It was a thrill to hear her sing something a bit more soulful. It's nowhere near the quality of the 'Rhythm Of Love' singles and the sound doesn't suit her as much as the more obvious dance-influenced pop, but that whole era is a lovely little anomaly in her catalogue.

x

craig68
22-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Kylie is so pretty and nicely dressed in the video, I can see her as a high-class call girl but never a common streetwalker. :)

Bendix
22-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Kylie is so pretty and nicely dressed in the video, I can see her as a high-class call girl but never a common streetwalker. :)

High class call girls don't dress like slags.........................

ShutDownTurnAround
22-07-2010, 08:03 PM
High class call girls don't dress like slags.........................

Now now Bendix I've told you not everyone dresses as nicely as you do for your corner!

xxxx

Bendix
22-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Now now Bendix I've told you not everyone dresses as nicely as you do for your corner!

xxxx

:D

ShutDownTurnAround
23-07-2010, 01:54 PM
;)