Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any Diana Ross fans?

Senior Member ShutDownTurnAround's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBoy View Post
    She hasn't sold well since the 90's.
    Yap. I think compilations were her steady sellers for quite a while. Thank You did well to make top ten. Must go and look how it is doing in the midweeks. It’s the Radio 2 album of the week which might generate some sales.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDownTurnAround View Post
    Yap. I think compilations were her steady sellers for quite a while. Thank You did well to make top ten. Must go and look how it is doing in the midweeks. It’s the Radio 2 album of the week which might generate some sales.
    I think there is a lot of love for her but this new album really is poor.

Probably not a popular opinion but I'd have loved her to do a throwback to her 60's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBoy View Post
    I think there is a lot of love for her but this new album really is poor.

Probably not a popular opinion but I'd have loved her to do a throwback to her 60's sound.

My thoughts exactly. Wish she would do something like that.

Senior Member ShutDownTurnAround's Avatar

I think if she had gone totally old style she would probably have had critics saying she was trying to recapture her past glories. The music on one of the album tracks that sounds like one of the older songs is actually not bad so the stepping back with the sounds could work if a project with that aim was well executed. But maybe this album will be her last.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDownTurnAround View Post
    I think if she had gone totally old style she would probably have had critics saying she was trying to recapture her past glories. The music on one of the album tracks that sounds like one of the older songs is actually not bad so the stepping back with the sounds could work if a project with that aim was well executed. But maybe this album will be her last.
    I think critics would have seen such a move as a nice way to book end her career.

Regular

Her early solo albums are quite good, as is Diana, Eaten Alive and most of The Force Behind the Power. The new album overall is not that great, with the people she was working with one could perhaps have expected a bit more. She's still got a powerhouse voice and I hope this isn't her last album but the tone certainly seems to be suggesting it will be.

She was sooooooo big. Even in the early 80s.
    Sadly She sells hardly any records in USA anymore