Thread: 'Disco' Album [Official Thread]

Regular

Iíd hazard a guess that the c. £450k ID ticket sales revenue paid for ID plus the SS and Magic videos. So the era (so far, itís not finished!) has probably already made a tidy profit from the well over 300k global album sales.

Quote Originally Posted by OnAForumLikeThis View Post
    I think this just goes to show that the budget is going to be limiting Kylie no matter how much income her albums or tours bring in. DISCO was one of the highest selling albums in the U.K (and probably one of her cheapest recent campaigns), and which followed on from the success of Golden, Golden Live and SBIT, and which still wasnít enough to properly fund ID as the creatives wanted.

I donít think this situation is likely to change in the future - which is a shame that it means her visual art is to suffer as a result. I donít think this is good for her legacy at all, no matter how much money theyíll be saving in the short-term.
    Is it really limiting Kylie though? Infinite Disco was innovative, flashy and modern with an allegedly low budget, so I'm not sure this means that her image will suffer.

This back and forth regarding budget is a ver common thing in the creative business, I don't think it is special to Kylie's or BMG's case. If anything, I'm actually angry at Rob for speaking like this, giving way to fan theories about Kylie's limited budget and label drama.

Also, I think cutting the budget for visuals is a very common thing to do. Long gone are the days of two-day video shoots and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by estivencito View Post
    I LONG for another Joseph Kahn video..🥰
    I absolutely hope she stays away from him. He's always reusing old ideas and all he does is expensive-looking kitsch.

will you take me poolside EternalSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mach2000 View Post
    Watching it now... can't believe he called it a Laughably small budget.
    That's very interesting as we now hear it directly from someone directly involved into how low her budgets are to visualize her art.
    It's kinda sad to be honest. He sounds really frustrated as well, calling the budget issue horrendous and up to a point where he had a 7 hour zoom meeting just about the budget.

Not an easy listen tho the way he talks and goes off topic constantly lol
    It's not the budget restraints that are baffling - Kylie has always been very business savyy. Good for her. All the companys she owns - and very smart she arranged copyright of all her images/photos early on! But of course, it's no excuse for lazy imagery/styling and unoriginal video treatments. She's by far not the worst, but there's definitely room for improvement.

To be fair, with ID it was a completely new situation, no one could predict it's revenue/impact. She was one of the first big artists to try. And the end result is nothing but spectacular!

For all we know budget was originally reserved for additional music videos...
    Last edited by EternalSunshine; 24-06-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benci_ View Post
    Is it really limiting Kylie though? Infinite Disco was innovative, flashy and modern with an allegedly low budget, so I'm not sure this means that her image will suffer.

This back and forth regarding budget is a ver common thing in the creative business, I don't think it is special to Kylie's or BMG's case. If anything, I'm actually angry at Rob for speaking like this, giving way to fan theories about Kylie's limited budget and label drama.

Also, I think cutting the budget for visuals is a very common thing to do. Long gone are the days of two-day video shoots and the like.
    It didn't limit the look of Infinite disco, but it did on a lot of other fronts like the MV's
    + Reading you say this just ads more fuel to the under payed creative souls who are the ones that make you look good and sell your shit and are always the first to get completely F****** -

This is where Kylie could step in and at least pay them their regular fee's. She is a creative soul herself and she knows, that the hours the charged are probably half of the ones they put in.

been on that short side of the stick too many times myself and it totally sucks. you're still excited to work as hard cause you want to deliver the most impressive thing possible, and when you do nothing else matters, until friends or peers tell me how stupid i am for doing these things for that little money while they're making millions of it now.

BMG should make their money from the album and i get that their budget is tight and strict. But the money Kylie makes on album sales is probably pocket money for her, and these releases 'for her' shouldn't be about money at all. They should be an investment in everything else that comes out of this that does make her a lot of money. Like her wine business. tours, deals, and invites to award shows and other big events, which if done right will make her money again cause people need to see big performances to buy concert tickets.

Music Videos might not been as important as they were a few decades ago, But they are getting more important by the day, obviously because they now also make money. And it doesn't matter if the lost popularity or importance. They are still what people look at a few decades from now.

Like said, BMG i get 100%, but Kylie as a business woman should know that investing in her brand is the wise thing to do as these get you everything else.

They did well with the budgets, but we also know it's the paychecks of the people that work the hardest on these that should Never be an issue.

When you have an ice cream shop and it's a rainy Saturday you don't tell your staff they get payed less because less people will show up for ice cream that day. You might cut the amount of ice cream you prepare and cut some flavors. But your staff should get payed what they deserve.

Stupid example, but it's early haha

Budget cuts sure, but always remember and reward the people that get everything done for you in that budget.

Invest in good quality music videos Kylie please!

I love SS but for me, the music video is unwatchable.

I want more ATL tier music videos.

Regular

I disagree that videos are budget. I honestly think they have been badly edited tbh

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Adam View Post
    Invest in good quality music videos Kylie please!

I love SS but for me, the music video is unwatchable.

I want more ATL tier music videos.
    Why? A great music video CAN be low budget but chock full of creativity.

Unfortunately the videos for Disco were both low budget and devoid of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by OnAForumLikeThis View Post
    I think this just goes to show that the budget is going to be limiting Kylie no matter how much income her albums or tours bring in. DISCO was one of the highest selling albums in the U.K (and probably one of her cheapest recent campaigns), and which followed on from the success of Golden, Golden Live and SBIT, and which still wasnít enough to properly fund ID as the creatives wanted.

I donít think this situation is likely to change in the future - which is a shame that it means her visual art is to suffer as a result. I donít think this is good for her legacy at all, no matter how much money theyíll be saving in the short-term.
    I agree with everything you mentioned. In terms of longevity, it will be harder for her to retain interest if they continue scaling down the quality of her productions.

Kylie always has something up her sleeve though so really curious about what she does for her next project.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by d.k. View Post
    Why? A great music video CAN be low budget but chock full of creativity.

Unfortunately the videos for Disco were both low budget and devoid of ideas.
    I wonder if she'll make anything as good as the Come Into My World vid again, all these years later and it's still amazing....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vqob-MljQ don't know what the budget was, but it was well worth it.