Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Katy Perry new single & 5th album

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite Lover View Post
    Iím sure Prism was quite a big seller to. I think her decline started with Witness.
    It did,but I never thought it'd be this steep, especially considering wall-to-wall promo and ridiculous levels of press exposure - she's been everywhere in the last 3 months,just had a baby and even that isn't helping.

The album has a few okayish songs,the rest is standard fare.It sounds like a mish-mash of sounds done in the hopes something will stick.

One thing is painfully obvious - she needed to adopt a more grown-up image and sound following Prism and the public wasn't interested in the new SJW persona (the haircut especially lol) she adopted early in the Witness era.She quickly started to back away from it,but it seems a significant amount of damage had been done - each new single charted lower and lower and the latest one didn't even trouble the charts.She obviously hasn't grown up along with her audience.It'll be interesting to see where she goes from here.

Quote Originally Posted by lalolo2 View Post
    without Dr Luke she cannot have a hit AGAIN why bother?!?!?!?!
    Never occured to you that artists do what they do because they love it, and not because they're chasing success.
    Not saying they do not want it, but it might not be the #1 priority when they're recording.
    Especially after juggernaut albums, been there done that, let me record what I want to record.

"What do you do after millions of records sold? Whatever makes you happy." once said a great woman.

Quote Originally Posted by 9481 View Post
    Never occured to you that artists do what they do because they love it, and not because they're chasing success.
    Not saying they do not want it, but it might not be the #1 priority when they're recording.
    Especially after juggernaut albums, been there done that, let me record what I want to record.

"What do you do after millions of records sold? Whatever makes you happy." once said a great woman.
    Umm Katy has a song on her current album whining about how difficult it was for her dealing with Witness flopping, so safe to say she was chasing success with it. If she wasnít chasing success with Witness then she was chasing recognition as something more than being seen as a producer-driven pair of tits that canít sing and only pumps out fun but disposable pop trash, which she failed at even worse.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by djtravitrav View Post
    Umm Katy has a song on her current album whining about how difficult it was for her dealing with Witness flopping, so safe to say she was chasing success with it. If she wasnít chasing success with Witness then she was chasing recognition as something more than being seen as a producer-driven pair of tits that canít sing and only pumps out fun but disposable pop trash, which she failed at even worse.
    Plus she went all out all R&B with Bon Apetite which really was very unkaty considering people associate her with pop. I love the song but felt the general public just felt Katy doing R&B was just too try hard and unauthentic.

Well plus the song was supposed to be controversial, but really wasnít at all because it had been done before and was kind of a tired concept at that point. Nobody wanted Xtinaís WooHoo a decade earlier.

Regular

Down to #25 at UK
    Dua Lipa at #8... Amazing!

Regular

Smile sells 99,000 globally in its first week.

For comparison thatís 2,000 fewer copies than Golden (yes I know itís 2 years later and times have changed etc etc, but still).

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm View Post

For comparison that’s 2,000 fewer copies than Golden (yes I know it’s 2 years later and times have changed etc etc, but still).
    Crazy how she went from best selling female artist in 2013 to selling the same amount as Kylie now.

Leanne Buckham

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm View Post

For comparison thatís 2,000 fewer copies than Golden (yes I know itís 2 years later and times have changed etc etc, but still).
    Her drop starting from week 2 is being huge though. No way she will manage to sell the same amount as Golden when the album campaign is over. Plus, she released 6 singles beforehand to promote the album.

Regular

Exactly. Kylie was just at the start of her campaign with Golden with those sales.

Never mind, Iím sure Katy and Orlando arenít worrying about mortgage payments 😂