Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mylène Farmer

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBoy View Post
    Yes, I get the visual side is way more interesting than the voice.
    The appeal of Mylène Farmer is definitely not in her voice, which doesn't have much power and is super breathy.

The reason why she has built such an impressive career are the same reason Madonna became the shaper of pop music in the eighties, nineties and part of the noughts : image.

After she secured a few hits in French-speaking countries, she started cultivating an image characterised by elusiveness and mystery. She barely does interviews, she is barely seen in public, she lives like a recluse and has shrouded herself in a mystical aura... so any time she releases something her fans go mental.

Also, she is known for crafting very strong lyrics that are very cryptic, use rather convoluted words, refer to classic literature, history and arcane subjects. Sometimes it's quite good, sometimes it becomes a parody where she'll just throw in as many polysyllabic words as she can for a very simple message. All in French so it'll get completely lost for non French speakers.

That plus the massive live shows that can only play in stadia because of the size of the production and you understand how she's built the following she has.

Even though I'm a big fan, I kinda agree with you guys. The visuals are what make her outstanding, and of course her public persona. Even for me, her music is very hit or miss, mostly depending on which musical genres she's following. It's no surprise either that my favourite albums are those that were not made by her usual production bitch Laurent. His musical sensibilities are very dated.

I'm not even sure if her live shows live up to the hype they get. Sure, the stage and production is always grandiose, but at the same time empty and cold, and it also doesn't help that she has the stage presence of a potato. But her concert videos are so well shot that they sort of sell the idea that she's a tour de force of stage production.

Also, her fans are super annoying, always looking for things to interpret in songs about fucking, clues and literary references which are always nicely written but not necessarily groundbreaking. And of course, they always accuse other artists of copying her. Or who knows, maybe I just haven't found a more normal fan site.

But I love her. When she gets it right, she is soooo good. Her last two albums are honestly fantastic and inspired, tis pity she cannot reach the same success she had with less great songs.

Mylene has posted a YouTube video to be premiered tomorrow evening. The title is MF - NM. Rumour has it that she is going to release a new album in September or October and we will have the teaser of the lead single tomorrow.