Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's be Honest, Why Was Dannii Never as Successful as Kylie?

Default Let's be Honest, Why Was Dannii Never as Successful as Kylie?

Could it be because she sounded too much like her sister? Was she always in her shadow? She has some good catchy songs but sometimes I can barely distinguish her voice and Kylie's. They sound so much alike except for the fact that Dannii has a much deeper voice obviously, but on certain tracks they sound identical. Maybe she never really stood out? Didn't find her own style?

Discuss.

Regular

I do think Kylie has a star quality that Dannii never had. It wasn’t necessarily more talent. Kylie always had an innocence and naturalness and charisma from Charlene to SAW that attracted people. Compare her in Neighbours and The Delinquents to Dannii in Home and Away.

This Is It is a perfect pop tune imo; as good as any of Kylie’s songs. And I loved Dannii as Emma in Home and Away when I was a kid. All I Wanna Do was also as good as any of Kylie’s late 90s work. But she just never had that completely unique quality that won enough people’s hearts. Kylie was always a bit of an ingenue, whereas Dannii was kind of brash.
    Last edited by ello!; 28-09-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Dannii’s style is cheap and forgettable. I do like her but she’s never stood out the way Kylie has managed to.

Isn't she famous as entertainment reality show judge?

I think the general public are rather sceptical when a relative of a Celebrity comes to the fore, Danni probably would have to work extra hard to get credibility. To the public (especially in the U.K. where we didn’t know about her success in OZ) it seemed she was just copying everything Kylie did. This Is It, and I Wanna Do and I Begin To Wonder are great. But she found her niche in being a judge.

I see no star quality on Dannii tbh, she's gogeous and that but she is not interesting at all!!.

Dannii has lots of talent.
    She never had many worldwide hits
    Thats the reason

Because she's half as talented, end of the story.

Regular

Back in the early 90s, I remember meeting older Australians who would mention how Dannii was famous before Kylie in Oz and they preferred her. Before everyone gets all bitchy about Dannii, just remember that she was pretty damn entertaining as the punk kid on Home and Away, and her records in the early 90s were pretty great bubblegum pop too. She was also in that teen movie from Australia, I can't remember what it was called.

Regular

She’s known more as just a reality judge star figure in 2 countries, and in the shadows of Kylie as her little sister.

She’s only famous in 2 countries. Never achieving global fame like Kylie has