Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Let's be Honest, Why Was Dannii Never as Successful as Kylie?

Regular

Bendix (RIP) had a few funny Dannii stories. He also talked about her shitty attitude towards staff at her old record company in the 1990s. She doesn't have any of Kylie's class or star quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ello! View Post
    Back in the early 90s, I remember meeting older Australians who would mention how Dannii was famous before Kylie in Oz and they preferred her. Before everyone gets all bitchy about Dannii, just remember that she was pretty damn entertaining as the punk kid on Home and Away, and her records in the early 90s were pretty great bubblegum pop too. She was also in that teen movie from Australia, I can't remember what it was called.
    I couldn't care less if Dannii was semi-famous in Australia before Kylie. Kylie is the only reason why Mushroom gave Dannii a record deal.

Star quality. That mysterious ingredient that cant be defined, but it is obvious on record or on screen.

The movie 20 Feet From Stardom explores this phenomenon, how a dozen enormously talented backing singers never made it to being the star....(they even sledge Kylie)...BUT Kylie had that undefinable star power.

That being said, Dannii has been an enormously successful media personality....good for her!

Useless at Scrabble....................

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by skywaves View Post
    I like Dannii. I think she’s cool and she’s had some great singles. Comparing her to Kylie is unfair, Kylie’s success is really unparalleled for a female pop star from Australia. Dannii is more successful than Tina Arena, Delta Goodrem, Kate Ceberano and various others who tried to crack the UK.

You could assume she has only ridden on Kylie’s coattails but then the siblings of Madonna, Britney Spears or whoever else never had the success that Dannii had so I think she deserves credit for achieving what she did. Only Janet for example from the Jackson family had real success in music. Being in the shadow of a successful sibling cannot be easy to overcome and yes, I know she had a chip on her shoulder about it but I think she’s found her own path and happiness by now so good for her.
    Olivia aside, I think she’s one of the very few from Australia that has made a name of herself globally.

Dannii has a successful international singing career from 1991 through to 2006. Her name is still known and associated with music. It’s just not accurate to label her as unsuccessful.

The material on GIY just wasn’t that strong. This Is It remains one of the best pop vocals ever: it’s a joy.

Dannii grafted in the years between 93-97. So many television presenting gigs! The music wasn’t really happening, but she did everything she could to keep her career going.

Girl should have been massive. Not sure why it wasn’t. I don’t remember a fantastic amount of marketing building upon the impact of AIWD. I think there was quite a big gap between EIW and D.

Again, she flogged herself to death working between 99 and 01. TV work.

The material was there with NN, but aside from YWFAM I didn’t think anything she came out with after that was as strong.

Moving back to Aus was good for her and she’s carved out an ace presenting career for herself. I think her occasional releases SOL, HO, G and 100D as well as the recent reworking of AIWD have shown she’s still got it. I’d love to see her put out a digital album and enjoy the experience of making music without the pressure of corporate expectation.

Regular

Clearly the X factor was missing (pun intended)

Look at destiny's child...why did Beyonce end up megastar, while Kelly and Michelle did'nt, when they had the same platform available (ofcourse beyonce was the hottest of the trio)

I think Kylie endeared as the nations sweetheart in her tv show and initial albums and the songs fit that mould, even when she went all sexy with ROL and Lightyears, she had that next door girl relatability, which I think Danni managed to gain only during X factor (while Kylie's turn on the voice was frankly cringe), but by then Danni was a spent force.

Also I see Kylie as more ambitious and wanting to stay in the limelight, while Danni does seem a little more laid back, esp since she is a mom etc.

Quote from skywaves - "Dannii is more successful than Tina Arena, Delta Goodrem, Kate Ceberano and various others who tried to crack the UK"

This is really important. And often forgotten just because she is not as successful as her sister.

Plus, in addition to TV, she has been quite successful selling her Petites range of clothes in Australia.

And to say Dannii only got a record deal because of Kylie is clearly coming from someone who doesn't quite understand how big Young Talent Time was in Australia and just how big she was.
    ...::::....::::....::::....::::....::::...::::.... ::::....::::....::::....::::...::::....::::....::: :....::::....::::...::::....::::....:::

I love dannii

I wished she had her TV series
    She had in movies but kylie lacked
    Good looks

Kylie never looked good in movies

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvak View Post
    Quote from skywaves - "Dannii is more successful than Tina Arena, Delta Goodrem, Kate Ceberano and various others who tried to crack the UK"

This is really important. And often forgotten just because she is not as successful as her sister.

Plus, in addition to TV, she has been quite successful selling her Petites range of clothes in Australia.

And to say Dannii only got a record deal because of Kylie is clearly coming from someone who doesn't quite understand how big Young Talent Time was in Australia and just how big she was.
    All of this. Dannii is actually a very successful Aussie pop star.
    Showgirl Homecoming Tour - Sunday 12 November 2006
    KylieX2008 - Sunday 14 December 2008
    Aphrodite Les Folies Tour - Wednesday 8 June 2011
    Kiss Me Once Tour - Friday 20 March 2015
    Golden Tour - Tuesday 6 March 2019

I think as others have said, Dannii does not have the "x-factor"/"star quality" that Kylie does.

Kylie was lucky to be part of the Neighbours explosion and it tied in beautifully with accessible decent well produced pop songs from SAW. (If Kylie had released songs like Locomotion (Aus) or Glad To Be Alive, I'm convinced now that she'd be behind the counter of her knick knack shop selling scented drawer liners.)

Outside Australia Dannii was seen as a less good imitation of her sister. The perception was that she rode on Kylie's coattails and copied her e.g. being in a soap, then launching a pop career etc.

Lack of a memorable hit. Whereas if the average Joe was asked to name three Kylie single he would probably say something like Lucky Lucky Lucky La La La and the hotpants one, I doubt they could name anything done by Dannii

Quality of material - before AIWD, her singles weren't that great. The only single that was in Kylie's league was This Is It (a cover), with Jump To The Beat (dance covers of disco songs were ten-a-penny in 1991) coming close. Even her debut single didn't come close to the quality of what Kylie was releasing.

Not as much focus on her recording career. Kylie dipped her toes in things where as Dannii was more adapable to different things. Take X Factor for example: I though Dannii was a GREAT judge. She could be kind when necesary but businesslike too. I remember at "judges houses" Dannii was deliberating with Kylie (who was assisting) and Dannii made insighful comments about a performance and Kylie said something like "her hair's nice".

So in conclusion I don't think Dannii is less talented than Kylie, and whilst not as successful in music I think her overall career has been a success*

*it's an attitude!!
    Last edited by Tropical Wave; 17-02-2021 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Absurd amount of typos