Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's be Honest, Why Was Dannii Never as Successful as Kylie?

Regular

I think it's more to do with Dannii's in put with the music industry. Love and Kisses album was a success, 5 singles released from it with a great momentum. Get Into You album 5 singles from that were released over a 2 year period - the album was bound to flop. The Girl album (IMO) Is a fantastic album but shouldn't have been released after just 1 single and Everything I Wanted wasn't a strong enough single. Neon Nights would have benefited from another single from it. Then of course 1 single every 12 months 2004 - 2007...

I think Dannii is a great singer but she's more of an (multi) entertainer than a pop star/dance act where as Kylie is the singer and occasional actress.

1991 really was a great year seeing both passing each other in the charts.

The point Is that they are two different Person.
    Kylie Is a pop Singer
    Dannii Is a dance artist
    That Is the First important to point out

Dannii should put out another solid dance album, but on her own terms, and own her own label, all self funded and ready to present to labels , so the costs are her own....if she worked with Guetta, Calvin Harris, Xenomania, Kygo, Biffco, Hook N Slink, Freemasons, Tiga, Korpi & Blackcell, Ian Masterson and presented a 12 - 14 track album with 3/ 4 bangers / singles, she could easily have a neon nights II ...but much like Melanie Cs Red girl records set up...where she could easily license out to other labels worldwide on some distribution only basis deal...ie Mushroom in Oz or Minstrys Central Station, and AATW in the UK via Universal... or even Warners worldwide seeing they have her Girl and Neon Nights material.... i just dont think the ambition is there, shame as she could easily plug on Masked Singer in OZ, and make a comeback on X factor UK (as a performer).... i dont know why , but i feel theres another great album in Dannii... maybe she could reach out to Parlophone and put out some of Kylies best unreleased tracks that were slept on, When The Cats Away, Lose Control, Sexual Gold, On The Up, --- only Kylie fans would know they are Kylie offcasts , the general public would be clueless...some of which would sound great if brought up to date

Sleepwalker Cheap? Neon Nights is better than any K album dude.

We can talk about subjective stuff like charisma and star power, but the truth is that for most of her career Dannii lacked a good team behind her and suffered from not having a production line of high quality hit songs. The success of "Neon Nights" showed that Dannii had it in her with the right A&R team, the right producers and the right songs at her fingertips.
    Her career never caught fire to the degree that Kylie's did, because initially she wasn't making the kind of music that appealed to the kind of audience that made Kylie a huge success (gays, kids, unashamed pop fans). "Love & Kisses" was just about pop enough, but "Success" (at least the Aus version) was too R&B and alienated the fans. Immediately after those two tracks the commercial quality of singles dropped off a cliff, and that's the record company's fault. "This Is It" was the kind of joyful pure pop a Dannii fan really wanted, but of course that was a cover and there was no song factory producing more of those. The rest of the singles from the second album were too try-hard. There was no audience for a "cool" Dannii record at that point in her career.
    "All I Wanna Do" was perfect for her, but again there was nothing as good and nothing as commercial to follow it up, and the album died. Again the record company has to take the core of the blame.
    "Neon Nights" got it perfectly right.
    I don't want to even talk about her choices after that.
    Last edited by Blip; 07-10-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Blip View Post
    We can talk about subjective stuff like charisma and star power, but the truth is that for most of her career Dannii lacked a good team behind her and suffered from not having a production line of high quality hit songs. The success of "Neon Nights" showed that Dannii had it in her with the right A&R team, the right producers and the right songs at her fingertips.
    Her career never caught fire to the degree that Kylie's did, because initially she wasn't making the kind of music that appealed to the kind of audience that made Kylie a huge success (gays, kids, unashamed pop fans). "Love & Kisses" was just about pop enough, but "Success" (at least the Aus version) was too R&B and alienated the fans. Immediately after those two tracks the commercial quality of singles dropped off a cliff, and that's the record company's fault. "This Is It" was the kind of joyful pure pop a Dannii fan really wanted, but of course that was a cover and there was no song factory producing more of those. The rest of the singles from the second album were too try-hard. There was no audience for a "cool" Dannii record at that point in her career.
    "All I Wanna Do" was perfect for her, but again there was nothing as good and nothing as commercial to follow it up, and the album died. Again the record company has to take the core of the blame.
    I think you've pretty much summed it up here!

It was really about quality and she just didn't consistently have that at any point outside of the 'Neon Nights' era. As a result, she never consolidated her fanbase enough so that, at the bare minimum, her core group of fans was enough to ensure her releases always went Top 20, if not Top 10. Therefore, she was a hard sell for any record company and none were willing to put the work in to make her a success.

Sadly, the ship has sailed on her having any kind of success in the music industry. She does seem to have carved out a successful niche for herself in TV, and I'm sure that is more stable (contract and hours-wise), so that she can also focus on being a mum to Ethan.

Quote Originally Posted by Blip View Post
    Girl just didnt set the charts alight as pop/dance music just tanked not long after all I wanna do go released

After neon nights, Dannii needed a decent record company to invest her... and to get some music

So many reasons. Dannii is very unlucky compared to Kylie.

My view, Kylie had big international success first and Dannii would never have been able to catch up. Kylie is obviously talented but she got the best from PWL and released some great songs. Dannii's debut had good success but Get Into You just didn't have the hits.

Girl is incredible but was rushed and the follow up singles to All I Wanna Do were just never made hit worthy.

Neon Nights, as an album, is better than any output from Kylie at that time. Alas the momentum was lost with London Records dropping her and switching to AATW. Worst move she ever did.

Regular

Even though Dannii has been passionate about music I think she's also got bored of it. Hence the reason why Dannii's tried her hand at different things; TV presenting, modelling, west end, judging...

I think Dannii has been and is greatly successful in her own right. She set out to become a dance act and gained so many club and dance No.1's. I think she's sold around 6 - 7 million records worldwide?

Next year Mark's 30 years since Love and Kisses was released internationally... Would be great to see Dannii do something/release something to celebrate that.

I think the small momentum Neon Nights was quickly ruined with the way AATW handled the whole Club Disco thing. Making her release a hits album because they got cold feet and screwing her around a little.
    Showgirl Homecoming Tour - Sunday 12 November 2006
    KylieX2008 - Sunday 14 December 2008
    Aphrodite Les Folies Tour - Wednesday 8 June 2011
    Kiss Me Once Tour - Friday 20 March 2015
    Golden Tour - Tuesday 6 March 2019