Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Re-evaluating the merits of the Fever album

Default Re-evaluating the merits of the Fever album

For me, I felt quite cold about Fever when it first came out, but looking back 20 years later (how can it be 20yrs?), I can't help but feel like the hype over CGYOOMH coloured my perception of the rest of the album in a negative way. I loved CGYOOMH back in 2001, but it was such a phenomenon, nothing else on Fever could live up to it and I think I unfairly wrote it off at the time.

I returned to listening to it in the last few months for the first time since probably 2003, and was pleasantly surprised by what a great album it is. Of all her albums, this is probably the one that has aged the best. Most of these tracks would sound current today. Give It To Me and Fever are unfortunate, in that they really bring down the quality of an otherwise excellent pop album. But elsewhere, the album seriously had hits to spare, songs like Love Affair and Your Love and More More More could've easily been singles. Burning Up is a great offbeat closer and of course, the singles speak for themsleves.

There's a classiness to the record which I love. Would love to see Kylie return to this kind of vibe/sound on her next album, with perhaps a touch more personal songwriting to add some depth.
    Last edited by SmokeyJoe; 29-07-2021 at 08:58 AM.

I loved that era! Great time to be a fan. But even at the time I remember thinking that everyone involved with that record, with just a little more work, could have made Fever a BRILLIANT album and it's a shame they didn't. But there are some great tracks on there.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    with just a little more work, could have made Fever a BRILLIANT album and it's a shame they didn't. But there are some great tracks on there.
    I totally agree with that. Just come up with a better title track and replace Give It To Me with something that doesn't sound sound like I want to one up Van Gogh and hack both my ears off and then it could've been an absolute masterpiece. Still a great album, but like you say, it could've been brilliant if they'd just worked a little harder on it.

The singles! Even 20 years later they still donít sound dated (to me). They sound similar to each other but donít sound like much else from that era. As a collective bunch, theyíre incredible. The only thing that comes close is the singles from Christina Aguileraís Stripped album.
    I like the album but starting off with More More More was a massive mistake. IMO itís one of the filler songsÖ along with Give It To Me and Dancefloor. A few others arenít filler but just a bit blah and THEY sound dated. Burning Up would have been a better track to kick off with.

My thoughts of courseÖ

Regular

The fever era you can not fault. The singles and videos outstanding. But I find the rest of the album filler. Apart from maybe love affair and fragile.

Singles that were chosen are exceptional and timeless, some of the best works Biff has done, I love all the Pascal Gabriel material, released and unreleased (Your love, Tightrope, So high, No better) and I like Dancefloor & Love affair. I don't like the rest. I love all the B-sides however & I wish Alone again was released too. Blue Monday mix of CGYOMH is just spectacular. It is a coherent album and, at the time, rather cool, so I understand why it has such a status and its appeal.
    Last edited by L.A.M.B; 29-07-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Regular

Fever is a wonderful album. I guess after Light Years it did seem a little colder at first, like itís missing that usual Kylie warmth and cheesy camp quality that she is known for. Itís very much a straight up dance record. But itís amazing. One of her best in fact.

It has its moments.

CGYOOMH and LAFS are stellar singles.

IYE always stalled for me because I felt it went nowhere.

CiMW should never have been recorded, let alone released as a single.

MMM should have been a single as should Tightrope. Amazing tracks.

Songs like Fragile and Your Love I really like but the title track and Give It To Me are horrible.

Burning Up I always loved and felt would have made a good single.

Dancefloor is okay but had aged badly.

Looking back, it isn't the stunning album it was lauded as but pleasant enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBoy View Post
    It has its moments.

CGYOOMH and LAFS are stellar singles.

IYE always stalled for me because I felt it went nowhere.

CiMW should never have been recorded, let alone released as a single.

MMM should have been a single as should Tightrope. Amazing tracks.

Songs like Fragile and Your Love I really like but the title track and Give It To Me are horrible.

Burning Up I always loved and felt would have made a good single.

Dancefloor is okay but had aged badly.

Looking back, it isn't the stunning album it was lauded as but pleasant enough.
    Curious as to why you dislike CITMW so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome Back View Post
    It's got nothing on Rhythm of Love, Light Years or Disco.
    Fever is much better than Light Years imo, her most overrated, dated and cringey album to date.