Thread: "Not Kylie Minogue Sessions"

Default "Not Kylie Minogue Sessions"

I have a question regarding the so-called 'Not Kylie Minogue' sessions between Intimate & Live and Light years, when Kylie did acoustic songs with Steve Anderson: is it really true that it was supposed to be released as an EP? (that included Stay this way, Floating, Miles, You're the one, Free etc.) What songs were written during these sessions (Ocean blue, Paper dolls, Good life, Butterfly demo?)
    Can someone in the know confirm or clarify the issue?
    I am quite intrigued.

Regular

I remember Kane posting years ago that Never Spoken and Harmony could have belonged to these sessions as well. But they sound like Fever demos.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by L.A.M.B View Post
    I have a question regarding the so-called 'Not Kylie Minogue' sessions between Intimate & Live and Light years, when Kylie did acoustic songs with Steve Anderson: is it really true that it was supposed to be released as an EP? (that included Stay this way, Floating, Miles, You're the one, Free etc.) What songs were written during these sessions (Ocean blue, Paper dolls, Good life, Butterfly demo?)
    Can someone in the know confirm or clarify the issue?
    I am quite intrigued.
    Those songs listed from 1997 were done for IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite Lover View Post
    Those songs listed from 1997 were done for IP.
    Steve mentioned Never spoken & Harmony were recorded in Real World studios, although he did not mention when:

http://dontstopthepop.blogspot.com/2...-part-two.html

I understand that Stay this way, You're the one, Free etc. were written during IP sessions, however I was referring to this information:

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
    What about the supposed "Not Kylie Minogue" album after Impossible Princess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham S View Post

Not Kylie Minogue - the acoustic tracks.

G
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
    Think that was the "Not Kylie Minogue" album so called because the previous 2 albums were Kylie Minogue in the UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    I thought they were The Real World Sessions and the Not Kylie Minogue was a rumoured title for a release of the Rapino tracks and others from the two deconstruction album sessions?
    Quote Originally Posted by craigastley View Post
    I THINK.......IF MEMORY SERVES me well ...... the 'Not Kylie MInogue' title was for a planned EP to be released after Intimate & Live and was the songs that Steve and her wrote on the road and these included......

- Paper Dolls
    - Ocean Blue
    - Good Life

the title was a play on the fact the 2 deConstruction albums had been called Kylie Minogue.
    I am sure i read this onhere from either Tom or Headless Postman here years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Bradley View Post
    Kylie and Steve planned to put finished versions of Stay This Way, Miles, Floating, Free and You're The One on this EP.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangina2.0 View Post
    "Ocean Blue", "Paper Dolls" and that other guitar-twangy song from the Light Years b-sides were going to be another album called "Not Kylie Minogue", i remember that.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangina2.0 View Post

The only one I can think of not mentioned before was/were the follow ups to Impossible Princess.

There's 'The Real Thing' of course which was canned but which had 3 or 4 mixes, which might have been mentioned, but there's also the 'album' "Not Kylie Minogue" which some songs were written for used during Light Years, three perfectly lovely acoustic numbers, 'Paper Dolls', 'Ocean Blue' and 'The Good Life'

Been yonks since I've heard of this, but it was rumored

So many projects just shelved and soooooooooo many songs left unheard. It genuinely makes me annoyed as we the fans would get so much joy hearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGreen View Post
    So many projects just shelved and soooooooooo many songs left unheard. It genuinely makes me annoyed as we the fans would get so much joy hearing them.
    Definitely. I think Kylie is aware how much core fans are willing to hear, for example the Jazz sessions, Scissor Sisters sessions, IP material, hidden vaults of Fever & Body language etc.

As for 'Not Kylie Minogue' acoustic sessions, by doing 'the detective work' I was able to gather that were to include (tentatively):

Demos recorded shortly after the Intimate and Live tour:
    Ocean blue
    Paper dolls
    Good life
    Bittersweet goodbye
    Never spoken
    Harmony
    Butterfly (Original Demo)
    So now goodbye
    Cover me with kisses
    Feels so good

Acoustic IP demos co-written with Steve:
    Stay this way
    Free
    Floating
    Miles (Blues)
    You're the one (Final Demo)

and some of the acoustic songs from the bunch Kylie co-wrote with Steve and Carl Mann:

Sunday Morning Cadillac
    Are You the One?
    Now That I've Found You
    Same Place, Same Time
    Can You Forgive Me?
    Love Song
    Sleep on It

So that would indeed make an album worth of 'acoustic' material.
    ONCE I LIVED IN CAPITALS
    MY LIFE INTENSELY PHALLIC

but now Iím sadly lowercase
    with the occasional italic

Definitely. I think Kylie is aware how much core fans are willing to hear, for example the Jazz sessions, Scissor Sisters sessions, IP material, hidden vaults of Fever & Body language etc.

As for 'Not Kylie Minogue' acoustic sessions, by doing 'the detective work' I was able to gather that were to include (tentatively):

Ocean blue
    Paper dolls
    Good life
    Bittersweet goodbye
    Never spoken
    Harmony
    So now goodbye
    Cover me with kisses
    Feels so good

Stay this way
    Free
    Floating
    Miles (Blues)

and some of the acoustic songs from the bunch Kylie co-wrote with Steve and Carl Mann:

Sunday Morning Cadillac
    Are You the One?
    Now That I've Found You
    Same Place, Same Time
    Can You Forgive Me?
    Love Song
    Sleep on It

Love song? You mean LITTLE LIKE A LOVE SONG?

Great list yes
    Bit i am not into accusstic anymore

It was fine 98 to 02
    Now its boring

Regular

Ocean blue
    Paper dolls
    Good life
    Bittersweet goodbye
    Never spoken
    Harmony
    So now goodbye
    Cover me with kisses
    Feels so good

Stay this way
    Free
    Floating
    Miles (Blues)

Sunday Morning Cadillac
    Are You the One?
    Now That I've Found You
    Same Place, Same Time
    Can You Forgive Me?
    Love Song
    Sleep on It

Iím surprised none of the Steve and Carl tracks evolved into anything on the album. Sounds like she abandoned them all at the demo stages, figuring out they must have been pants!

As I understood it, it was implied that they were not very good.
    ONCE I LIVED IN CAPITALS
    MY LIFE INTENSELY PHALLIC

but now Iím sadly lowercase
    with the occasional italic

Regular

As I understood it, it was implied that they were not very good.
    Hence why they were abandoned at the demo stages and didnít evolve into anything.

There was also a rumour that Sunday Morning Cardilac was originally going to be the Japanese bonus track to Light Years but donít know if thatís true.