Page 1 of 52 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the story with Kiss Me Once?

Default What's the story with Kiss Me Once?

I wasn't an active Lover at the time and wasn't around on the forums to know the ins and outs of what went well and what didn't go well.

What's the story behind the album? Why was there such a delay between Aphrodite and KMO? What was the drama with the singles?

Regular

K25 in 2012. Timebomb is said to be recorded in the early sessions for what eventually became KMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite Lover View Post
    K25 in 2012. Timebomb is said to be recorded in the early sessions for what eventually became KMO.
    So I guess it was recorded a bit like X then, with bits and pieces over a few years. Kind of makes sense.

I read somewhere that she wanted Mr President to be a single but the label wouldn't agree.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by stanstan View Post
    So I guess it was recorded a bit like X then, with bits and pieces over a few years. Kind of makes sense.

I read somewhere that she wanted Mr President to be a single but the label wouldn't agree.
    Apparently a lot of the KMO experimental songs done with big producers were wiped as Parlo wouldn’t pay for them :/

And i regretted not using Musicmafia and buying the full KMO demos of Rolling Stone, Beat Of My Heart etc. perhaps some of the wiped demos managed to make its way out beforehand and are on sites like those?

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite Lover View Post
    Apparently a lot of the KMO experimental songs done with big producers were wiped as Parlo wouldn’t pay for them :/

And i regretted not using Musicmafia and buying the full KMO demos of Rolling Stone, Beat Of My Heart etc. perhaps some of the wiped demos managed to make its way out beforehand and are on sites like those?
    Do you know who she worked with? Seems odd that she would go ahead and work with someone without the label already agreeing to it. They must have been pretty big producers if they were more expensive than who they did end up with working on the album - sia and pharell couldn't have been cheap.

Regular

I think it was a difficult era. Kylie wanted out re the story behind IWGC. She was being pulled in different directions and her new management didn't understand her. Shame because KMO has a few good tracks but I think it will end up being ignored for some time.

It isn't such a bad album. I guess the disappointment was mainly because Kiss Me Once followed Aphrodite, which was one of her best eras (music, tour, imagery).
    I have always enjoyed Kiss Me Once, although it was poorly executed, after the video of "I Was Gonna Cancel" it was clear that campaign was over. Contrary to popular belief, I liked her image and even the tour. But you can tell she wasn't excited about the project, especially compared to Aphrodite, Golden and Disco.

Regular

I am not sure what happened but I assume it had a lot to do with her signing with Roc Nation management (Jay Z’s company) as she did not stay with them after this one project.

The album has some good songs but seriously lacks any clear direction. X had the same problem but was saved by some amazing songs including great singles, promo, videos and imagery. And a great tour.

Kiss Me Once had very little to save it. The singles were not strong. It also did not help that she did The Voice in both the UK and Australia which in all honesty cheapened her brand at the time.

I think BMG and her current manager have done an amazing job at turning that around, it’s as if those things never happened.
    Last edited by skywaves; 23-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by PerformerofStyle View Post
    It isn't such a bad album. I guess the disappointment was mainly because Kiss Me Once followed Aphrodite, which was one of her best eras (music, tour, imagery).
    I have always enjoyed Kiss Me Once, although it was poorly executed, after the video of "I Was Gonna Cancel" it was clear that campaign was over. Contrary to popular belief, I liked her image and even the tour. But you can tell she wasn't excited about the project, especially compared to Aphrodite, Golden and Disco.
    Even the name was uninspired.

I have to say though the title track is great.

The album has some epic tracks like Sleeping With the Enemy and If Only sat alongside bubblegum like Sexy Love. It's totally incoherent.

The Sleepwalker EP hints at the direction KMO should have gone in.
    We all got wanderlust in the darkest place
    So we're 'going with our heart'
    Yeah it's all the rage

Oh we're just trying to find ourselves
    In the storms we chase