Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Years vs DISCO

Default Light Years vs DISCO

Which disco album is superior?

For me DISCO is the better all around package as a cohesive dance album. But LY is way more joyful for me.

My vote goes to LY for that reason. Might also have to do with the nostalgia I get from LY, happy times.

Disco.
    Although I am very fond of Light years, as it is more varied in genres, there are some cheesy moments that I do not care for.
    It is completely opposite with Disco - the material is coherent, homogenous even, but very precise and sufficient at the same time - and there are no fillers for me.

When I discovered Kylie in 2013, I couldn't really understand the love for Light Years. To me, it sounded too camp. While I've grown to like that album as well, Disco is on another level (it's probably my favourite album along with Golden). Disco feels like you're lost exploring the dark rooms of Infinite Disco in space, while Light Years feels like it's midnight on a hot summer night in a beach disco.

I think it's a very hard question, because both stand in different grounds and they are equally important on kylie's career. Light Years is the undisputed moment when Kylie finally made peace with her past, and realized that her musical DNA, what she had spent almost a decade so desperately looking for had always been right in front of her, the very follow up to Rhythm Of Love, the moment where *Kylie* was born, so it with Light Years it was right there all past, present and future in one single record, absolutely mesmerizing.

With Disco it's like the reaffirmation, Kylie had gone through the lowest point in her career since 97. She finally decided to be true to herself and her feelings with Golden instead of locking them away (as she did during Kiss Me Once) she didn't felt like a star anymore, she had no idea of what to do, and this wave of love came right washing over her, she took it easy and step by step enjoying that, and with Disco it's the reassertion of who she is and what she does. Feeling comfortable again after going back on track.

Disco is much more qualitative to me. More subtle. Sound and lyrics.

Regular

So interesting this topic got posted. I just got done going for a walk with LY on. I initially wasnít a huge fan for the most part due to the, at times, over the top campiness.
    However, just listening to the backing instrumentals and bass from the songs I realized how superb it all was.
    Iím glad I gave it another chance. I have a new appreciation for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Which disco album is superior?

For me DISCO is the better all around package as a cohesive dance album. But LY is way more joyful for me.

My vote goes to LY for that reason. Might also have to do with the nostalgia I get from LY, happy times.
    Interesting you asked this as Disco is genuinely my fave album since LY!!!! LY by a song or 2 for me. Fascinating to think what she'll do next

Quote Originally Posted by Mattstar View Post
    Interesting you asked this as Disco is genuinely my fave album since LY!!!! LY by a song or 2 for me. Fascinating to think what she'll do next
    Iím starting to feel like weíre in 2013 again, where itís the perfect time to release a club album with trance, deep house, big bass etc.

I know that sound is not marketable for Kylie these days, but off the back of DISCO and not being able to tour until 2022, I think itís a smart move.

Satisfy her younger fans 😁

Light Years by a whisker, but these are probably the top two Kylie albums.

Regular

Disco. One of her best albums sheís ever given us.

Light Years is one of my least favorite Kylie albums. Not really a fan of it.