Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Katy Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Witness is actually a pretty solid album and kind of ahead of the curve at the time. Maybe it didn't sit right at the time. But in hindsight it's really good, just like artpop for Gaga or IP for Kylie.
    It's a good album and had a huge lead single where she was still Katy Perry. Than she completely changed image and most significantly, attitude and she went from super likable to extremely unlikable overnight.
    I absolutely adored Chained to the Rhythm. It's probably my favorite Katy track, but after that i tuned out completely. Not because the singles were bad, but just couldn't stomach her as an artist/person so didn't even bother to listen to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by mach2000 View Post
    It's a good album and had a huge lead single where she was still Katy Perry. Than she completely changed image and most significantly, attitude and she went from super likable to extremely unlikable overnight.
    I absolutely adored Chained to the Rhythm. It's probably my favorite Katy track, but after that i tuned out completely. Not because the singles were bad, but just couldn't stomach her as an artist/person so didn't even bother to listen to the music.
    Roulette is a track you 100% need to give a chan e then!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Witness is actually a pretty solid album and kind of ahead of the curve at the time. Maybe it didn't sit right at the time. But in hindsight it's really good, just like artpop for Gaga or IP for Kylie.
    Yup, totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mach2000 View Post
    CTTR is an amazing track, but the message of the song was perhaps a bad move for her. There was obviously the political aspect of it. However, I think the bigger issue was the irony of someone whose career to that point was based on plastic non-substantive feel good crap lamenting about current society being gaslight by plastic non-substantive feel good crap. Then she follows it up with a song about eating her coochie. When Kylie and countless other female popstars have dipped their toes into the “serious artist” pool they usually have committed to doing it for a whole album with a corresponding significant attempt at an image overhaul. Katy tacked on one or two deep songs to an album that was generally the same level of disposable pop she had been producing and went blonde. It was a halfass effort to appear more mature. And it’s almost like her fans took the message of CTTR to heart and left her behind.
    Last edited by djtravitrav; 30-12-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by djtravitrav View Post
    CTTR is an amazing track, but the message of the song was perhaps a bad move for her. There was obviously the political aspect of it. However, I think the bigger issue was the irony of someone whose career to that point was based on plastic non-substantive feel good crap lamenting about current society being gaslight by plastic non-substantive feel good crap. Then she follows it up with a song about eating her coochie. When Kylie and countless other female popstars have dipped their toes into the “serious artist” pool they usually have committed to doing it for a whole album with a corresponding significant attempt at an image overhaul. Katy tacked on one or two deep songs to an album that was generally the same level of disposable pop she had been producing and went blonde. It was a halfass effort to appear more mature. And it’s almost like her fans took the message of CTTR to heart and left her behind.
    100%

Add her acting unhinged during the promo with her Big Brother-type project and her public psychotherapy session + feud with Taylor Swift and you'll understand why the general public turned away from her.

Musically, I find a lot of Witness far superior to her previous projects. I actually like Bon Appétit (sans the rap section thank you very much) and thought it was a great direction that took her pure pop aesthetic in a more contemporary direction.

The production is much more neat and pleasant than on Teenage Dream for instance. Dr Luke was good with hooks and melodies but his production lacks layers and complexity in my opinion. You're lucky of you end up with 4 instrumental tracks on one song.

It's quite crazy how one album managed to destroy her public image and that she never managed to recover fully from it. She might be starting her residency in Vegas now but I'm sure if you ask anyone who isn't a pop fanatic, they'll struggle to give you one song that she released after 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by NPA View Post
    100%

Add her acting unhinged during the promo with her Big Brother-type project and her public psychotherapy session + feud with Taylor Swift and you'll understand why the general public turned away from her.

Musically, I find a lot of Witness far superior to her previous projects. I actually like Bon Appétit (sans the rap section thank you very much) and thought it was a great direction that took her pure pop aesthetic in a more contemporary direction.

The production is much more neat and pleasant than on Teenage Dream for instance. Dr Luke was good with hooks and melodies but his production lacks layers and complexity in my opinion. You're lucky of you end up with 4 instrumental tracks on one song.

It's quite crazy how one album managed to destroy her public image and that she never managed to recover fully from it. She might be starting her residency in Vegas now but I'm sure if you ask anyone who isn't a pop fanatic, they'll struggle to give you one song that she released after 2012.
    Yeah have to say it’s one of the more shocking plummets I can recall, going from top female popstar to not being able to score a hit single anymore, particularly when the album attributable to the plummet was solid. Ageism definitely played a part and the start of the general music industry in the last 5 years, but that can’t take all the blame. Not taking away from her accomplishments and the fact she made a ton of money and still is so she’s likely not that upset, but will be a textbook example of what not to do for future artists.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by djtravitrav View Post
    Yeah have to say it’s one of the more shocking plummets I can recall, going from top female popstar to not being able to score a hit single anymore, particularly when the album attributable to the plummet was solid. Ageism definitely played a part and the start of the general music industry in the last 5 years, but that can’t take all the blame. Not taking away from her accomplishments and the fact she made a ton of money and still is so she’s likely not that upset, but will be a textbook example of what not to do for future artists.
    Hasn't she got the Vegas Residency now? Surely she will make a bomb from that also.

Cant stand her
    Sooooo silly Kindergarden crap

New single is a pretty good house inspired bop.

no love for SwishSwish? hahhaa I recall smashing repeat non stop when it first came out.