Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "I Love It" Samples this song...

To be fair, I was gutted when I found out "Lola's Theme" by Shapeshifters was based around a sample, I thought it was such a great original track!
    I've just learned to get over it and suck it up.

Even BEAT IT by MJ, the intro to that which is so iconic is actually a rip off from a disc demonstrating the sounds of the 80's "Synclavier" instrument. The original composer wasn't credited in any way! Shocking!
    The longer I live, the more I realize these so-called amazing artists and creators have "borrowed" more than we know.

SAW were pretty sneaky for a lot of stuff they copied and passed off as their own as well (e.g. Bananarama I heard a rumour, Got to Be Certain, lots of the Let's Get to It tracks etc) so it's really been going on a long time.

x

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a song that shared the bassline of Fine Wine. That could be a similar situation, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mediamaffia View Post
    To be fair, I was gutted when I found out "Lola's Theme" by Shapeshifters was based around a sample, I thought it was such a great original track!
    I've just learned to get over it and suck it up.

Even BEAT IT by MJ, the intro to that which is so iconic is actually a rip off from a disc demonstrating the sounds of the 80's "Synclavier" instrument. The original composer wasn't credited in any way! Shocking!
    The longer I live, the more I realize these so-called amazing artists and creators have "borrowed" more than we know.

SAW were pretty sneaky for a lot of stuff they copied and passed off as their own as well (e.g. Bananarama I heard a rumour, Got to Be Certain, lots of the Let's Get to It tracks etc) so it's really been going on a long time.

x
    The problem isn't borrowing stuff. The Shapeshifters sample is brilliant and innovative use of samples in tracks has been at the forefront of music for over 20 years now. It's thought of as cool to find an old disco track, sample it and watch everyone go mad trying to find the original sample. Daft Punk made their career out of it. Using an entire loop from a sample CD is a just a bit naff though. For an advert or in the background of a daytime soap, yes. I'd expect more from Biff tbh

Quote Originally Posted by mach2000 View Post
    I love the song. Just don't think professionals working for A-list stars should use samples available for literally everyone.
    There could be 1000's of songs using a sample of those packs.
    Nail on the head. I love the track too but it's really poor game from Biff. I mean use it as a guide for a demo if you want but then change it! Say Beyonce said she wants to record a heavy metal album, nobody working on that album would just grab a Now Thats What I Call Heavy Metal Sample CD and use one of the backing tracks off that. There are a few people in Kylie's inner circle who really don't appear to treat her as if she's A-list.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    There are a few people in Kylie's inner circle who really don't appear to treat her as if she's A-list.
    Agreed.
    Especially some producers, fashion designers and some "fans". :/

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    Say Beyonce said she wants to record a heavy metal album, nobody working on that album would just grab a Now Thats What I Call Heavy Metal Sample CD and use one of the backing tracks off that.
    Even if Beyoncé releases a metal inspired album and get sample from free platform she won't be criticised by the media and her fan base. Because it's a BEYONCÉ album.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDevil View Post
    Even if Beyoncé releases a metal inspired album and get sample from free platform she won't be criticised by the media and her fan base. Because it's a BEYONCÉ album.
    Nobody is criticising Kylie?

I always thought sampling was common practice in the music industry. It’s been happening forever right?

IMHO it’s just as innovative as writing and composing your own music - turning a sample into an original track. I’m all for it and it breathes new life into something that sounds subliminally nostalgic fresh and innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomboxAJ View Post
    I always thought sampling was common practice in the music industry. It’s been happening forever right?

IMHO it’s just as innovative as writing and composing your own music - turning a sample into an original track. I’m all for it and it breathes new life into something that sounds subliminally nostalgic fresh and innovative.

I love samples. It's a unique way of turning something old into something different and new.

This is not sampling tho.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mach2000 View Post
    I love samples. It's a unique way of turning something old into something different and new.

This is not sampling tho.
    Hey Mach, could you explain why this wouldn’t be considered a sample? I thought it was but obviously not, would be interested to know why it’s not. Thanks