Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Kylie Become a Pastiche Artist

Quote Originally Posted by JimboGreen View Post
    Yeah your right you are being annoying....

Seriously though I think there were loads of fans that loved the album it just didnít translate well to the GP, in part due to the difficulties with itís release. I personally donít like SKOB thereís so many more songs on that album that are better.

Also I think some fans who may have not liked it have changed their opinion as theyíve got older and appreciated it more, I certainly love lots of albums (not just Kylie) now that I wouldnít have even considered then, tastes change, people grow, how scary would it be if we didnít!.
    Well I kinda stepped into that one...
    put me on ignore then honestly.
    Because y'all all know I'm ways gonna share my opnion on IP. :-D It's kinda part of the forum culture now ahha.

The way people come at me expressing my opinion when discussions come up. But don't give a crap about the transphobic, misogynistic, misgendering and creepy behaviour on here is just so messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by stickortwist View Post
    x2

And yes- very VERY annoying
    Girl add me to block as well. You've always hated me

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Wave View Post
    Oddly the same fate befell X (particularly in the US) when Kylie was trying to do r'n'b to suit the USA market. It's like selling Tesco basics cheddar to the French.

The public warm to Kylie when they feel she's being true to herself. That's why - despite being such a huge leap from PWL - the public picked up on CIM.
    I don't think that was the problem with X although it was the problem with BL. Not to mention the biggest problem was Kylie never spent more than 3 days to a week in the US. She would do a few shows than run back to the UK or to OZ. She has always spent more time in Japan, Arabia or even South America longer than she spent in the US. I never understood why someone would make an album meant for a US audience but not promote it in the country they were trying to crack. That's why BL failed and that why X didn't chart there either. The same can even be said about Golden. Why make a country album but not do heavy promotion in the US where that type of music is popular? You have to be in the US in order to even be successful there. I'm not saying buy a house and move there but at least spend a month there. Another huge problem was Parlo's release plans. They would release the albums 3 to 4 months in the US after the album had already been released worldwide. Real fans were not going to wait that long to buy an album. Notice Aphrodite they released it in the US at the same time as the rest of the world and it made a huge difference in chart positions becoming her highest debut album since Fever there. And it kept going after look at KMO, Golden and Disco. Since all cracked top 20 debut. I agree with everything else you said, Kylie shines better with everyone when shes being herself.
    Last edited by Becky Ray05; 10-06-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ello! View Post
    The 90s were a lot about ďauthenticityĒ and Kylie was looking for authenticity too, so she fit right into the 90s scene. It was a weird authenticity because it was very performative - over-the-top displays of laddishness, ladette, girl power, Cool Britannia, ďangryĒ women singers. People werenít buying it in Kylie or werenít interested and it turned out her authenticity was in pop anyway.

I think the exciting thing about 90s Kylie is that she was completely open to becoming something - as opposed to knowing who she was. Kylie today is completely defined- in her own mind it seems, and in everybody elseís. 90s Kylie had completely turned her back on the past so she was sort of free, except she also couldnít really escape the past.
    I love those observations. Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Girl add me to block as well. You've always hated me
    LOL Hate is a very strong word. I donít hate you I just think youíre annoying sometimes which isnít really a huge problem. I donít know you to Ďhateí you.
    Last edited by stickortwist; 11-06-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Wave View Post
    I think they have gone with "themed" albums for the last few years because the big complaint about X was that it was all over the place. How could you go from a track like Nu-di-ty to the Cilla Black b-side Cosmic? They seemed to mostly fix that problem on Aphrodite but seemed to plunge back into that territory with KMO.
    Lol @ cilla black reference...

Originally Posted by Tropical Wave
    I think they have gone with "themed" albums for the last few years because the big complaint about X was that it was all over the place. How could you go from a track like Nu-di-ty to the Cilla Black b-side Cosmic? They seemed to mostly fix that problem on Aphrodite but seemed to plunge back into that territory with KMO.

Lol @ cilla black reference...

Or maybe there is a mole on Sayhey

Quote Originally Posted by StraightA View Post
    I love those observations. Well put.
    Great observations, agree.

Being in the UK and watching her 90s era it also felt like watching someone finally being able to flex their choices....a real shift from the churn ( rightly or wrongly) of SAW/PWL...

Even just watching her on TFIF with sinead 'O'Connor and Natalie umbruglia it felt like a time for her to try lots of things, have fun with music, style and fashion.

It did feel disparate at times, but that's a part of life, sometimes you need to through a whole heap of ideas up in the air and see a) what sticks and b) what makes you happy...

I've said this before but whilst far from perfect in all her creative choices there is just something unique and captivating about Kylie ...she always had my attention or the ability to get my attention even if I didn't love every single there is just the uniqueness to who she is....that's why she's still here and I love that she continues to have fun and pour her brand of positivity into the world through music and performance.

Its a rare gift to be able to make millions of people happy but she does it and has for so many years.

Ocean Boy

I rarely post but I found this really interesting this discussionÖ

Iíve always felt that the PWL years were her learning how to be a pop star.

By the end of her time there she had begun to write songs and vocally really find her voice (if you listen to tracks like say the word and where in the world you can hear her strength) she had toured three years in a row.

The nineties were her learning how to be an artist and the ups and downs of having more creative control.

The Parlo years were a combination of everything - but with Kylie she is more than the sum of her parts. There is this extra magic when it all comes together.

There are Albums she has done that I donít enjoy, but she always pulls it out of the bag in some way.

She is a euphoric pop star but retains that girl next door approach - I don't believe she wants to be the number one artist in the world - but she wants to create great products and then move on.

So I dont think she is a pastiche artist - but she knows how to weave it into her output so she pleases the old and the new at the same time - looking back and forward at the same time - in other words she fully embraces her past and loves what is it come.

And we all benefit from it.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    And here I am with the opnion that SKOB is about the only good song from that era. + Breathe, Through the years, dreams and Free.
    The only good songs from that era are the Manic's work (SKOB and the great I Don't Need Anyone) and Dreams to an extent, the rest are just weak representations of styles of the era.