Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why was 'Money Can't Buy' a one-off?

why there was no Body Language Tour? it's very simple.

There never were any plans to tour Body Language as it was about the veeeeeery last years artists were not obligated to tour if they did not wanted to, money was still being made through music sales and tours were the extra bit, and it was quite an unusual exciting thing to just go with a single show to make a different album launch. Ideas started coming about doing a greatest hits project, so it was better to let this one pass.

Money Can't Buy did quite well on promotion, sales and tv re-transmissions world wide.

Quote Originally Posted by DwardoD View Post
    Madonna had recently done a small one-off show in London that created massive buzz. I think they were going for similar publicity.
    Money Can't Buy was completely different, as it was used to launch Body Language.
    Levitating= 24
    My Head & My Heart= 95
    Perfect= 96
    Future Nostalgia= 5
    Divide= 15
    No. 6 Collaborations Project= 46
    Snacks= 91

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    why there was no Body Language Tour? it's very simple.

There never were any plans to tour Body Language as it was about the veeeeeery last years artists were not obligated to tour if they did not wanted to, money was still being made through music sales and tours were the extra bit, and it was quite an unusual exciting thing to just go with a single show to make a different album launch. Ideas started coming about doing a greatest hits project, so it was better to let this one pass.

Money Can't Buy did quite well on promotion, sales and tv re-transmissions world wide.
    I don't buy that I'm afraid. BL had a lot of money thrown at it in terms of promo. The videos were expensive and Money Can't Buy cost a million to stage. It wouldn't have recouped that. BL underperformed so they went with a greatest hits, something that team Kylie weren't massively in favour of.

It makes you wonder what the tour for Body Language would have been like had they pressed ahead with one. I guess it would have been Money Can't Buy on a bigger scale. That show is one of my all-time favourite Kylie concerts. I love the simplicity of it and how stylish it still looks. The performance of On a Night Like This is gorgeous.

Madonna had recently done a small one-off show in London that created massive buzz. I think they were going for similar publicity.
    Recent? Madonna's show was three years before Money Can't Buy, so I doubt Kylie cared about it in 2003. Madonna was hardly the first artist to do a one-off show to launch a new album.

I also can imagine that the less good reception to RBW and Chocolate helped the idea of having rather a GH Tour...

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    I don't buy that I'm afraid. BL had a lot of money thrown at it in terms of promo. The videos were expensive and Money Can't Buy cost a million to stage. It wouldn't have recouped that. BL underperformed so they went with a greatest hits, something that team Kylie weren't massively in favour of.
    if anyone can find a video or article discussing the possibility of a BL tour please share.

I'm 100% sure Money can't buy was a one of promo concert, but if people say she discussed a BL tour than please share cause it would be interesting to know.

Regular

The Madonna gig was still very much fresh in people’s minds, and Kylie was using a similar strategy to create publicity. As far as I remember (and I was at MCB) it worked.
    But Madonna didn’t do a one time show to present an album. She did a mini tour in 2000 to promote “Music” and she visited London and New York with it. Then in 2003 she did an acoustic mini tour for “American Life” and she visited London, New York and Paris, then a club mini tour in 2005-06 for “COADF” and then in 2008 for “Hard Candy”. All 4 mini tours visited the UK and other countries. They were awesome but very different from MCB.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by othersides View Post
    I also can imagine that the less good reception to RBW and Chocolate helped the idea of having rather a GH Tour...
    Exactly! It has been discussed to death on here over the years, but 'Body Language" massively underperformed saleswise, both on the singles and album front. It ended up selling well for a Kylie album but 'Fever' had moved the goalposts expectation-wise. There was just no interest in a 'Body Language' tour from the general public. You can choose to believe the spin that Kylie and/or Parlophone put on the situation

Going down the route of 'Showgirl' allowed Parolophone to save face and recoup their losses. Focusing on her greatest hits after only 3 albums (two of which had done really well) was a huge about turn.

Look I remember it clearly at the time - Madonna did a one off show in London in 2000 that caused a huge buzz. Three years later, it felt kind of similar that MCB was a one-off show that created publicity and built on the idea of Kylie as this mega-star. Remember, this was right after Fever when Kylie was huge and she was deliberately playing a small venue to create a feeling of exclusivity and demand, just like Madonna did in 2000.

You can say there was nothing similar about that if you want I suppose…
    This is the first time in 20 years i've heard of MCB being a Madonna inspired thing. Trust.. if it was, it would have been shoved down our throats since day one for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by cf80 View Post
    Exactly! It has been discussed to death on here over the years, but 'Body Language" massively underperformed saleswise, both on the singles and album front. It ended up selling well for a Kylie album but 'Fever' had moved the goalposts expectation-wise. There was just no interest in a 'Body Language' tour from the general public. You can choose to believe the spin that Kylie and/or Parlophone put on the situation

Going down the route of 'Showgirl' allowed Parolophone to save face and recoup their losses. Focusing on her greatest hits after only 3 albums (two of which had done really well) was a huge about turn.

But that's the thing, am i the only one who watched this interviews or whatever it was before MCB even happened where she said that this was it for BL. A One off promotion concert and no tour.
    Or my memory must be playing weird tricks on me (which i totally wouldn't be surprised at) but still... I never expected a BL tour, and there was no discussion/speculations of one if i remember on Sayhey or other forums