Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why was 'Money Can't Buy' a one-off?

Ocean Boy

Quote Originally Posted by mach2000 View Post
    But that's the thing, am i the only one who watched this interviews or whatever it was before MCB even happened where she said that this was it for BL. A One off promotion concert and no tour.
    Or my memory must be playing weird tricks on me (which i totally wouldn't be surprised at) but still... I never expected a BL tour, and there was no discussion/speculations of one if i remember on Sayhey or other forums
    Pretty sure you are correct - it was never intended to be a tour. They were already planning the greatest hits tour - she couldnt do three tours in a row and needed a break.

There were no plans at that time to do a greatest hits album though…..

maybe they tried it (although i never heard about it) and realized it would be a greatest hits show with a few BL songs as most BL songs don't really work live. not in a concert setting anyway.
    and with the greatest hits coming in 2004. Well 4 tours in a span of 4 years is overkill.
    I remember at the time Money Can't Buy was shown on a network called Direct TV and it the show was shown every 2 hours. They show something else than they would show Money Can't Buy. I think Direct TV had to be your provider to see it. I guess that was their only big plan to promote the album in North America and it failed. Came to Canada for 1 day to do one TV show than she went to America for 2 days and did 2 TV shows and Queer Eye For The Striaght Guy, she showed up for the Gammy's and won but it was not Televised so if you weren't a fan you never would have known she was there to begin with than head back to the UK 3 North America promo over for an album that had been released in Feb 2004 in that country while in the rest of the world the album had been out since Dec. of 2003 and us diehard fans had already had the album imported to us for 5 to 10 times more than it would have been sold in stores. the album was 12 dollars in Canada but I had to have it imported and shelved out 40 dollars for it. Anyway bad idea's is why that album didn't work in North America and she choice not to tour it.

But that's the thing, am i the only one who watched this interviews or whatever it was before MCB even happened where she said that this was it for BL. A One off promotion concert and no tour.
    Or my memory must be playing weird tricks on me (which i totally wouldn't be surprised at) but still... I never expected a BL tour, and there was no discussion/speculations of one if i remember on Sayhey or other forums
    You are very much correct she did say in a bunch of interviews there was no plans for a tour but years later someone let it slip that indeed there were plans but they wanted to see how well the album did first even more so in America.I forgot who and when but I do remember someone in the camp or maybe William again not sure admitting there were plans. The album flopped there and any plans were dead and buried. I honestly think had they released the album in North America at the same time they did the rest of the world and had she spent more time in North America, A week in Canada and 2 weeks in America the album would have done far better. Would it have been as successful as Fever god no but it would have award her the chance to tour in arena's instead of small halls and theaters. IMO

Regular

No,you're not the only one. I have no recollection at all of her or her team ever mentioning a tour to go with 'Body Language'. I do have a vague recollection of her saying the opposite (like you said). The whole 'Fever' era had been a whirlwind and exhausting, so I think her appetite to repeat that cycle was very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham S View Post
    Pretty sure you are correct - it was never intended to be a tour. They were already planning the greatest hits tour - she couldnt do three tours in a row and needed a break.

There were no plans at that time to do a greatest hits album though…..
    Do you know/are you able to say what changed their mind? Of course, it might just have been a case of it making sense to have a Greatest Hits CD available while doing the tour.

I remember thinking WTF when she was going down the greatest hits route, as it smacked of 'oh f**k, the last album underperformed, let's throw something out there that has a good chance of sticking'. In retrospect, the 'Ultimate Kylie' era was really well handled. We got two solid singles (and some good outtakes), and the tour was fantastic.
    Last edited by cf80; 03-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Ocean Boy

Quote Originally Posted by cf80 View Post
    No,you're not the only one. I have no recollection at all of her or her team ever mentioning a tour to go with 'Body Language'. I do have a vague recollection of her saying the opposite (like you said). The whole 'Fever' era had been a whirlwind and exhausting, so I think her appetite to repeat that cycle was very low.

Do you know/are you able to say what changed their mind? Of course, it might just have been a case of it making sense to have a Greatest Hits CD available while doing the tour.

I remember thinking WTF when she was going down the greatest hits route, as it smacked of 'oh f**k, the last album underperformed, let's throw something out there that has a good chance of sticking'. In retrospect, the 'Ultimate Kylie' era was really well handled. We got two solid singles (and some good outtakes), and the tour was fantastic.
    So the greatest hits tour was, for a while - her farewell tour and she had intended to take a long break (hence the jazz recording as a side project).

What always struck me as typical was the lack of planning (there is a pattern with her career here) - not planning the U/K album with the tour (initially) was just odd. But as you say - we got some amazing tracks from it.

I think after LY and Fever - she was burnt out and just wanted an escape. Retrospectively we understand why now.

Ive never known why after Slow it all went odd - much like a lot of projects she gets bored and wants to move on I guess?

Changing her mind is what she does. A lot.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Graham S View Post
    Ive never known why after Slow it all went odd - much like a lot of projects she gets bored and wants to move on I guess?

Changing her mind is what she does. A lot.

G
    She is, by her own admission, fickle.
    I think the wheels came off when she released Red Blooded Woman, which, unsurprisingly, didn't do as well as they hoped. That track was pretty much derided here back in the day, and it smacks of a desperate attempt to appeal to the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Ray05 View Post
    You are very much correct she did say in a bunch of interviews there was no plans for a tour but years later someone let it slip that indeed there were plans but they wanted to see how well the album did first even more so in America.I forgot who and when but I do remember someone in the camp or maybe William again not sure admitting there were plans. The album flopped there and any plans were dead and buried. I honestly think had they released the album in North America at the same time they did the rest of the world and had she spent more time in North America, A week in Canada and 2 weeks in America the album would have done far better. Would it have been as successful as Fever god no but it would have award her the chance to tour in arena's instead of small halls and theaters. IMO
    She couldn't be in 2 different places the same time. She had a hard promo in Europe, remember MTV EMA

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome Back View Post
    Kylie was 100% considering touring Body Language. She said in an interview while promoting its release that she had to make a decision about it very shortly and "let's face it, probably will go on tour". But after the album seriously underperformed she chose not to go on the road.
    where is this interview tho, cause i just don't remember anyone talking about a BL tour.
    I would love to see it or any interview where she talks about 'maybe' touring this album.

were you on Sayhey during the album release?

where is this interview tho, cause i just don't remember anyone talking about a BL tour.
    I would love to see it or any interview where she talks about 'maybe' touring this album.

were you on Sayhey during the album release?
    I have a Brazilian interview from the end of the Fever era that she said there was a new album coming in the following year and that she was planning a tour and she would love to tour Brazil. But maybe that was a generic talk?

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigosayhey@hotmail.com View Post
    I have a Brazilian interview from the end of the Fever era that she said there was a new album coming in the following year and that she was planning a tour and she would love to tour Brazil. But maybe that was a generic talk?
    maybe, probably... maybe at the start of the development they did plan an album and a tour, but with Fever being so hard on her they settled with Money can't buy.
    can you share the interview?