Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: This forum explicity mentioned in Steve Anderson's latest podcast episode

You have to put yourself into that period of time. Kylie had been in the wilderness somewhat and then after signing with Parlo her career shot back up and then went galactic with Fever. A very exciting time to be a fan. Then we got Slow which was incredible and then we heard RBW (and the album sampler) and it was clear that this was a massive misfire. The material was poor, they were just making a play for the US market and it wasn't going to work. The US had jumped on Fever because it had big songs that sounded (and looked) different to anything on their chart. Whoever thought giving them a cheap, diluted copy of of what the US already does so well was a good idea? It wasn't and it was obvious

Which is a shame because there are some gems on BL.

I think the reason some of her r&b lite tracks don't sit well with (some) fans is nothing to do with them being r&b. It's because they are typically average and sound like they were written for somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    they were just making a play for the US market, giving them a cheap, diluted copy of of what the US already does so well.
    Basically this. I do like a lot of Body Language, but R&B kylie is a bit too "meh" for a whole album/direction. Slow was so great, but it's totally out of place on Body Language.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyssecondclass View Post
    You have to put yourself into that period of time. Kylie had been in the wilderness somewhat and then after signing with Parlo her career shot back up and then went galactic with Fever. A very exciting time to be a fan. Then we got Slow which was incredible and then we heard RBW (and the album sampler) and it was clear that this was a massive misfire. The material was poor, they were just making a play for the US market and it wasn't going to work. The US had jumped on Fever because it had big songs that sounded (and looked) different to anything on their chart. Whoever thought giving them a cheap, diluted copy of of what the US already does so well was a good idea? It wasn't and it was obvious

Which is a shame because there are some gems on BL.

I think the reason some of her r&b lite tracks don't sit well with (some) fans is nothing to do with them being r&b. It's because they are typically average and sound like they were written for somebody else.
    Actually.. What you don't seem to remember (because i do!).. was that it was actually SLOW that made everyone and the general public say "WTF?!".. it was certainly NOT instant classic put it that way. It was a moment of total deflate when the song premiered. It's amazing to think about it because it's become one of her classics. But at the time.. it was a HUGE disappointment after the singles of Fever. It instantly killed all the momentum. Don't kid yourself it was all to do with Red Blooded Woman! Slow i remember everyone hating on here.. and the general public didn't much like it either

Regular

But Slow was number in the UK and Australia, and charted well in lots of European markets as well.

Regular

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeglessBinman View Post
    Basically this. I do like a lot of Body Language, but R&B kylie is a bit too "meh" for a whole album/direction. Slow was so great, but it's totally out of place on Body Language.
    I know what you mean in regards to Slow being out of place on BL. The rest of the album sounds nothing like Slow whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    And yet body language became one of her most standout albums that still manages to sound genre pushing to this day.
    It also ended up selling more than light years well. I remember those days, it was my intro to Kylie fans and I was so disappointed with how close minded those Kylie fans were back then. I went from seeing how Madonna and Christina Agulaiera fans were with them and how open they were to letting their artist be an artist to come here and Kylie.co.uk and seeing just how bonkers Kylie fans were. I believe I was 9 or 10 then, it was shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by estivencito View Post
    Actually.. What you don't seem to remember (because i do!).. was that it was actually SLOW that made everyone and the general public say "WTF?!".. it was certainly NOT instant classic put it that way. It was a moment of total deflate when the song premiered. It's amazing to think about it because it's become one of her classics. But at the time.. it was a HUGE disappointment after the singles of Fever. It instantly killed all the momentum. Don't kid yourself it was all to do with Red Blooded Woman! Slow i remember everyone hating on here.. and the general public didn't much like it either
    I have to agree with this, it was sad. Slow took years for people to grow on in the UK anyway but I remember in Canada my friends and my brothers friends loved slow but didn't really get the album in full. I'm kinda shocked Slow has become the classic it is now because it did not start off that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite Lover View Post
    But Slow was number in the UK and Australia, and charted well in lots of European markets as well.
    I remember the huge thing was it was the lowest charting number 1 in history in the UK. She didn't have many if anyone to compete with when Slow was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Ray05 View Post
    It also ended up selling more than light years well. I remember those days, it was my intro to Kylie fans and I was so disappointed with how close minded those Kylie fans were back then. I went from seeing how Madonna and Christina Agulaiera fans were with them and how open they were to letting their artist be an artist to come here and Kylie.co.uk and seeing just how bonkers Kylie fans were. I believe I was 9 or 10 then, it was shocking.
    True

To me at this time, kylie Fans were British girly Europop gays.

I loved RBW for example

RBW was awesome.. a lot of friends loved it and not forgetting the awesome video, kept getting featured on MTV back in the day